Optimizing Vulkan for AMD and the tale of two Vulkan drivers

The first GPU AnKi run, almost a decade ago, was in fact an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. The first version of the deferred shading renderer run in that GPU and not only that. AnKi was running on Linux and the fglrx driver. I don’t remember experiencing many game breaking bugs back then, but then again, AnKi was quite simplistic at the time. One thing I remember was some depth buffer corruption that I had to workaround using a copy. Many years later I understood that this was a driver bug.

The love with ATI didn’t last long and AnKi end up being developed exclusively using nVidias. For many years AMD’s OpenGL driver didn’t have the quality or the features I wanted. Fast forward to today, things are looking far better. Firstly, Mesa has a quite decent OpenGL implementation, secondly, there is a very competitive Mesa Vulkan driver (RADV) and on top of that there is an second opensource Vulkan driver directly from AMD (AMDVLK). The cherry on top is a very good profiler for Vulkan and AMDVLK called Radeon GPU profiler. AMD regularly releases lots of documentation and optimization tips as part of their GPUOpen initiative. This is a great period to own AMD hardware for graphics development that’s why I had to get my hands on an AMD GPU.

In this post I’ll focus on some AMD specific optimizations and I’ll be comparing the two opensource Vulkan drivers.

Continue reading “Optimizing Vulkan for AMD and the tale of two Vulkan drivers”

Porting AnKi to Vulkan part 2

In my Porting AnKi to Vulkan post I went into detail describing how AnKi’s interfaces changed to accommodate the Vulkan backend and how this backend looked like. Eight months have passed since then and a few things changed mainly towards greater flexibility. This post describes what are the differences with the older interfaces, how is the performance currently and what new extensions AnKi is using now.

Continue reading “Porting AnKi to Vulkan part 2”

Volumetric lights/fog test

Short video of a test for volumetric lights. It is using the same information as the cluster deferred shading path. The shader iterates every cluster and samples at a random position inside the cluster. The result is too noisy at the moment, especially with shadows.

One decade working on AnKi. Uploaded the first snapshot I found in my archive

It’s almost 10 years of AnKi so I decided to to upload a very old snapshot of the engine I have lying in my hard drive. This early snapshot is a few years before I used any revision control. Browse the code here https://github.com/godlikepanos/anki-3d-engine-2007

Some interesting facts:

  • It started as a simple skeletal animation project and grow to what it is now.
  • Was featuring a blender 2.4 exporter for meshes, skeletons and skeletal animations.
  • It was running on OpenGL 1.1 with immediate mode.
  • The code is a weird mixture of (Microsoft-centric) C++ and C.
  • It was compiling only in ancient versions of VisualC++. Had to struggle to get it compile with GCC.
  • Different code style from what AnKi has now.
  • The first name of AnKi was Malice. Kept that name for a few months.

The journey of porting AnKi to Vulkan

Someone once said “make it work, make it fast, make it pretty” and I’m happy (and at the same time relieved) to say that the effort of porting AnKi to Vulkan just hit the first major milestone! It’s working! I think this is a good time to share a few thoughts on how this milestone was achieved, the pains and generally the overall experience. Disclaimer: Whatever you read in the following lines reflects my own views and not those of my current employer.

So let’s start from the beginning. Continue reading “The journey of porting AnKi to Vulkan”